Building Information Modeling (BIM) is the strategy for application of information technology to the building industry. Utilizing laser scan data to capture the as – built environment, allows faster more accurate 3D BIM model creation. BIM is ideal for refurbishment or retro – fitting projects, scanning both external and internal builds for a high accuracy 3D survey from which the intelligent model is created. The application of BIM solutions results in higher quality work, greater speed and productivity, and lower costs for building industry professionals in the design, construction, and operation of buildings.
The implementation of BIM is fundamentally changing the way the construction industry works. Scan to BIM can provide a faster, more accurate, more comprehensive method for capturing survey data critical for refurbishment or retrofitting BIM projects.
• Improved – communication, collaboration & transparency
• Lower – overall costs on build
• Reliable – quality checked data (model against scan)
• Faster – decision making, implementation of project alterations
• Less – time on site, missed data, rework, and construction clashes
• Fewer – errors & costly mistakes, plan virtually
• Phased – scan & model parts of the project when & if required
• Better – sustainability, using BIM throughout the building’s life
• ‘What if’ – plans & sequences can be optimized virtually